Call Scripts are just a guide for you to use your authentic voice and language to address issues of concern. For this script we are asking you to boycott prison labor exploitation. Make sure you familiarize yourself with the issue before making a call- or sending an email. Generally, you are just leaving a message, or receiving a stock response-- but someone somewhere is cataloging the content of those messages and we are hoping to reach a critical mass of resistance. For boycotting calls, or calling in to elected officials, the general protocol is:
1. Be polite. If you are able to say something good about the company before you express your disappointment, do it. It's a great way to get your reader on side. For Instance, "I have enjoyed your companies products through out the years, but recently learned that you are abusing prison labor- ...."
2. Stick to the facts. Try not to let any emotion or judgment spill out. Reference articles and facts in the call or email.
3. Don't use unfounded threats. Be able to say I will no longer use your company, and be able to follow through. Hyperbole is not useful.
4. Shorter is better. Keep the information to the point.
5. Include a brief history of the issue and any correspondence so far, if it's helpful.
6. Do not accept being passed back to customer services, unless it's with a named person and with a promise of follow-up.
7. State your desired outcome. Determine this before you call or email. Be able to explain clearly what you want as a solution or outcome.
Sample Scripts on the Muslim Ban:
Hi, my name is ________, I live in zip code XXXXX, and I’m calling to tell the Senator my thoughts on the president’s Executive Order on refugees and immigrants. I’m really upset by this order because it's discriminatory, racist, and goes against everything I believe to be good about America. Please tell the Senator to stop being silent on this issue that is un-American and dangerous. I’m asking the Senator to stand with Senators McCain, Graham, Collins and others and speak out against this order. Thank you for your time, and I appreciate you sharing my thoughts about immigrants and refugees with the Senator.
Hello, I am ______ a constituent and I am outraged by Trump’s un-American ban on travel from certain Muslim-majority countries. Discriminating on the basis of religion, national origin or ethnicity is un-American and undercuts the vision of America as a country that stands for freedom and equality. This disgraceful order will divide families and friends separated by country, and will not make us safer. I urge you to denounce this disgraceful order and do everything in your power to see that it is reversed.
Can I count on the [Senator/Representative’s] support?